FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Two deadly DUI crashes took the lives of two teenagers over the weekend, according to the California Highway Patrol.
Los oficiales dicen que alrededor de las 5:30 am del domingo, Erick Torres de 25 años de Bakersfield conducía con tres personas en su camioneta.
He crashed at a curve in the road on Elkhorn Avenue near Jameson Avenue in Fresno County.
His passenger, identified as 16-year-old Jesus Rodriguez of Mexico, was not seat belted and was ejected from the vehicle. He died at the scene.
The two other passengers and Torres had minor injuries.
Investigators determined Torres had been drinking and arrested him for vehicular manslaughter and DUI.
Just after 6 pm on Sunday evening, a head-on collision on Avenue 15 near Road 39 1/2 left a 19-year-old Madera woman dead.
Investigators says 24 year old Lorenzo Morales-Cortes was suspected of drinking and driving.
They say he drifted into the 19-year-old driver's lane.
He had major injuries and was taken to the hospital and placed under arrest.
The CHP says this isn't his first suspected DUI.
"This particular driver had a prior DUI in Fresno that he's still dealing with," said California Highway Patrol officer Javier Ruvalcaba.
Officers say in the Madera area last year, there were 34 deadly crashes. 11 of those were DUI related.
"You can imagine, if you widen your search it's going to be much greater," Ruvalcaba said.
The Fresno Police Department held a DUI checkpoint Sunday night to watch for impaired drivers on the roadways after the Super Bowl.
Five people were arrested for suspicion of DUI.
Clovis Police were on saturation patrol for drunk and drugged drivers and arrested two people.
Law enforcement is reminding drivers that there are major consequences to their actions when they get behind the wheel.
"Drugs and alcohol and driving don't mix. If you drink don't drive and if you drive don't drink," said Ruvalcaba.
Torres was arrested and booked into jail, where he is being held on $63,000 bail.
Morales-Cortes is still being treated at the hospital for his injuries. He will be booked into jail.
Drake Law Firm es un bufete de abogados galardonado que se centra exclusivamente en la ley de lesiones personales.
Respaldado por un equipo de abogados, asistentes legales y personal de apoyo con más de 100 años de experiencia combinada, hemos sobresalido en la lucha por las víctimas de accidentes automovilísticos, y hemos recuperado más de $ 150 millones en compensación para nuestros clientes.
Fundado por el abogado Benjamin Drake, el bufete Drake Law Firm ha logrado veredictos y acuerdos notables en casos de accidentes automovilísticos en todo el estado de California.
Nuestros resultados de accidentes de auto recientes:
Luchamos por la máxima compensación posible. Para discutir su potencial demanda por accidente de auto y cuánto puede valer, póngase en contacto con nosotros para hablar con un abogado de lesiones personales.
Drake Law Firm representa a víctimas que sufren pérdidas en todo tipo de accidentes automovilísticos. Cualquiera que sea su accidente, Drake Law Firm tiene la experiencia que usted necesita. Podemos ayudarle con: