Northridge Catastrophic Accident Attorneys
¿Ha sufrido lesiones catastróficas en un accidente?
Simple accidents happen daily. In some cases the outcomes aren't that simple, though. People might slip and fall down a single step or a whole flight of stairs, especially when railings are inadequate or faulty. Reckless drivers cause injuries when they crash into someone else's vehicle. Simple accidents aren't a big problem as long as individuals walk away with only minor bumps and bruises. If you sustain major or catastrophic injuries, however, you may struggle with pain, disabilities, and financial losses for the rest of your life.
Seemingly everyday accidents occasionally lead to long-term medical care, recurring medical expenses, lost income, and unexpected disabilities. When another person causes or contributes to your injury, that person should pay for your damages. Unfortunately, negligent individuals or entities do not always step up and take responsibility for their actions. Therefore, it's up to you and a Northridge catastrophic injury attorney to do what's necessary to make them pay.
¿Cuáles son las lesiones catastróficas más comunes?
Federal law considers any long-term injury preventing a person from working as catastrophic. Yet, some injuries happen more than others. Some common types of catastrophic injuries include:
- Severe burns are not just acutely painful, but they can also be traumatic and create life-long physical and emotional pain. Burns are classified as catastrophic when they cover much of the body and require reconstructive surgeries, skin grafts, and in some cases a medically induced coma to recover. Even with medical care, the risk of infection due to wide, deep burns is significant.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) are caused by an outside force striking or penetrating the skull. These injuries are usually caused by a violent blow to the head or by an object penetrating the skull. Traumatic brain injuries often occur in serious car accidents, slips and falls, and workplace injuries. Brain injuries that are classified as catastrophic often mean that a victim suffers from cognitive issues, like loss of memory and ability to focus; physical issues, like impaired coordination and balance and loss of motor functioning; hearing issues; vision problems; and behavioral issues, like depression, anxiety, and aggression. In situations with serious brain injuries, victims might experience a coma, a vegetative state, or death.
- Spinal cord injuries can be catastrophic because of how vital the spine is to the human body's function. A traumatic spinal cord injury can happen because of a sudden blow to the spine during a car accident or slip and fall. A catastrophic spinal cord injury often causes permanent loss of strength, feeling, and function below the site of the injury. This might cause temporary paralysis or even permanent paraplegia or quadriplegia. In these cases, the injured victim will likely require extensive rehabilitation and assistive devices to get back some movement and independence.
- Major orthopedic injuries such as crushed bones and fractures requiring several surgical procedures are also categorized as catastrophic. A crushed bone or multiple fractures usually occurs when force or pressure is put on a body part. Sometimes these types of injuries are due to being caught in between two heavy objects in a car accident or a workplace accident. Crushed bone injuries are incredibly painful, may require multiple surgeries, and also run the risk of long-term problems.
- Amputation, meaning the loss of a limb or an extremity, is often a result of a severe accident. An amputation often can not be repaired and may put the person's life at risk. Amputations are less common than a lot of other catastrophic injuries, but when they do occur it typically means a lifelong disability for those whose amputations were a result of an accident.
- Long-term vision or hearing loss clearly creates a significant problem for those who experience these kinds of injuries. For this reason, vision and hearing loss are classified as catastrophic. When an individual no longer has the ability to hear or see, they face a lifetime of hardship, financial difficulties, pain and suffering, lost income potential, and independence.
¿Qué tipos de daños puedo recuperar?
Si el tribunal falla a su favor o llega a un acuerdo antes del litigio, puede obtener una indemnización por las pérdidas que usted (o su ser querido) haya sufrido como consecuencia de la lesión catastrófica.
Algunos ejemplos de los tipos de daños que puede recuperar son:
- Costes estimados actuales y futuros del tratamiento médico, incluido el servicio de ambulancia, la visita a urgencias, la hospitalización, la cirugía, la medicación, el tratamiento continuo y los cuidados de enfermería continuados en un centro de cuidados a largo plazo.
- Pérdida de ingresos y de capacidad de ganancia para indemnizar a las víctimas de lesiones catastróficas que no puedan volver a trabajar o buscar un empleo en el futuro.
- Home modification expenses to make a house more accessible for someone with a catastrophic injury by adding things like wheelchair ramps, handrails, and creating a main floor living area for those who can not use stairs
- Expenses for replacement services a household has to use for activities and labor the accident victim did prior to their injuries, such as a lawn care service, snow removal service, childcare, and a cleaning service
- Dolor y sufrimiento físico
- Dolor y sufrimiento psicológico
- Disminución de la calidad de vida
- Pérdida de consorcio con la pareja
- Daños punitivos en casos extremos de negligencia grave o daño intencionado
¿Cómo puede ayudarme un abogado con experiencia?
Catastrophic injuries are life-altering events that leave victims financially devastated. Recovering damages for catastrophic injuries is more than getting compensation for negligence, it is a critical source of funding for future expenses related to the injury. Adding insult to injury, insurance providers use every strategy in their playbook to protect their bottom line and avoid paying claims.
Catastrophic injury claims are high-value claims that need extra resources and skilled lawyers. Experienced catastrophic injury lawyers do not just file paperwork, they advocate for you and your loved one every step of the way.
Algunos ejemplos de cómo los abogados especializados en lesiones catastróficas ayudan a sus clientes son:
- Investigating a case to uncover all the facts
- Crear un caso sólido contra la oposición
- Consulting with professionals that help raise value to a claim
- Obtención de valiosos testimonios de testigos
- Negociar con los proveedores de seguros
- Llevar un caso a juicio cuando el acuerdo no es una solución
- Negotiating to reduce medical bills when a top settlement offer is obtained
Catastrophic injuries devastate victims and their loved ones physically, psychologically, and financially. Get in touch with our experienced Northridge catastrophic injury lawyers to see if we can help you get the compensation you deserve.
If a negligent individual or business causes catastrophic injuries to you or a loved one, you need to take immediate actions to protect your legal rights. At Drake Law Firm, we constantly fight hard to recover damages for our clients, and we 'd like to determine if we can assist you.
At Drake Law Firm, we've assisted numerous personal injury clients to get the compensation they require to recover. We won't let you accept unfair treatment from other law firms and we will defend you from beginning to end. If you need help with Catastrophic Accidents in Northridge, California, give us a call at (844) 513-7253 for a FREE consultation or visit our website at DrakeLawGroup.com to get started on your case today!